Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Road Trip 2: The Mojave

Traveling from Bakersfield to Needles California means crossing the Mojave Desert.

I drive up through the low lying mountains, and the start across the sprawling desert.  The names are like ghosts from my childhood...  Tehachapi, Mohave, Barstow...

The desert has an austere beauty.  There are few places on earth that are still so empty.

There are turnoffs from the highway every twenty minutes or so.  Forlorn signs promise Gas - Food - Lodging, but I see nothing but desert beyond the turnoffs.  Still, the desert can be deceptive.  Perhaps there is a slight rise, barely visible, and just beyond the rise a prosperous town, complete with MacDonalds, Starbucks, and a Ramada Inn with a sparkling swimming pool.  But probably not.

I made sure I had gas and water before starting my trip; I don't take any of the turnoffs.

* * * * * * * *

At Barstow I take a small detour to visit the Barstow Route 66 Mother Road Museum.  I've been looking forward to this for days.

The museum is closed.  Perhaps I'll see it another time.  But probably not.

* * * * * * * *

I have better luck with Calico Ghost Town.  It's an 1880's silver mining town.  Surrounded by 100 miles of desert in every direction, I wonder how people ever found thier way here...  and why?

Now the town bustles with busloads of tourists.  I spend a few minutes chatting with a German family. They are fascinated by a display of old west guns, and each family member takes an individual photo of the display.

I wander through the town, taking time to examine old wagons and mining equipment.  The buildings now sell souvenirs, crafts, and food.  I have a beer and a couple of hot dogs before getting back on the road.


No comments: